Friday, March 6, 2009

Praying for a Pull Up

Guess what? I got offered a job at the Wild Animal Park! Yup. They are going to have the worlds longest zip line and I will be a guide for it. My job will consist of me giving a schpeal about the animals I love and then strapping people in and sending them screaming down a zip line and then me going down after them. Awesome right?

Here's the catch: I have to pass a physical which includes me having to do a "pull up and hold".


Can girls even do pullups? Seriously. This guy looks like he's in good shape and appears to be struggling. Even when I was in great shape in hawaii and surfing and kayaking every day I don't think I could've done a real pull up.

I tried to do a pull up on the playground yesterday and it was HUMILIATING! There is no way I can hoist this butter ball of a bod up with these scrawny arms. I mean really. I was pulling with all my might and no upward movement. Just me hanging on the monkey bars swayin' in the breeze.

I have a feeling this might be one of those humiliating/devastating experiences that reminds me I am in no way the athletic person I used to be. Let's all have a moment of silence for the ill fated 4th of July Paddleboard race.

I have been doing push ups and sit ups every night but I have to do the pull up on TUESDAY!!! I REALLY need this job. It's like a dream come true plus no more RALPHS! I am willing to try out any tricks you recommend for making pull ups easier.

My last resort is to pray for a pull up miracle. Is it wrong to pray for a pull up? I mean, I only need to do one. Is that too much to ask?!!!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

oh my gosh this job sounds totally totally perfect for you!!! i dont think it is wrong to pray to be able to do a pull up- not at all! i will pray for you too.

oh man, the 4th of july paddle board race, that made me laugh out loud, but with you (not at you).

anyway, YOU CAN DO IT!

Melissa said...

Jaime, try to have Dan hoist you up to the pull-up and hold. It's hard in the beginning to hold yourself but the amount of time you can hold yourself increases dramatically. This will help you strengthen quickly and then all you have to work on is getting up to the bar. Also, have Dan go with you and bend your legs so your feet point behind you when your hanging from the bar and have Dan hold your feet. Then do as many pull-ups as you can. The biggest thing is to do them everyday. Push yourself and do as many as you can each time.

Good luck!!!

doug and becky said...

Jaime!!!!!!! I love you and your post. You can do it. you have to. this job is perfect. hopefully even if you can't they'll realize how perfect you are for the job and hire you on the spot! Melissa gave good advice i think. it's so much easier to do a chin up than a pull up i think. will they let you do those? yeah. get to it. and don't do anything the day before. it's always easier for me if i rest the day before. but since you only have 3 days not sure that's an option. Go gettum tiger!!! ps. i'll pray for you too :)

Kara said...

Pull-ups have never been one of my strong points! But I will pray for you too! Good luck!

Alisa said...

Just visualize. You can do it!!!

Ashley and Aaron said...

pull-ups are freaky, but you can handle one, I am sure of it! And I love that post about the crazy beer sign you got from ralph's...hilarious.