Wednesday, March 25, 2009

[March 23] One of These Things is Not Like the Others...One of These Things Just Doesn't Belong

I feel like the fluffy brown penguin.

Today was my first day of training at the WAP. I was a nervous nellie the night before. There was a lot of sweating and pulse checking. Apparently, I had good reason to be stressed. Let me introduce my co-workers and the nicknames I call them in my mind:

1. Steve Irwin- This guy is an Aussie fresh of the boat. He ran a koala sanctuary. Not just any koala sanctuary, no no. THE koala sanctuary. All the koalas at the "world famous san diego zoo" are from his koala sanctuary. He fell in love with a girl from san diego and gave up his zoo for her. They get married in May. Plus his accent rules and once he's in khakis all the guests will love him and his friggen cute koala stories way more than me.

2. Mt. Everst McGee- She is like 40+ and runs a trekking company in Nepal that focuses on ice climbing and "extreme mountaineering" whatever that is. Needless to say, she had no problem with the pull-up test.

3. Cirque du Soleil- Former gymnast and Airialist. What's an airialist? Don't worry, just those mokey like human beings that climb up and down fabric or rope and spin around in it really fast. She also runs her own business involving various circus performers. She showed up in spandex capris. Not an ounce of cellulite on this chicky.

4. REI- She works there as an instructor. Not just any instructor. She's THE california regional instructor of rock climbing, free climbing, ice climbing....blah blah blah climbing. Plus she runs her own company that teaches people how to rock climb.

5. Ahoy Matey- He has spent the last two years on a boat in Costa Rica doing extreme tours ranging from cliff jumping to surfing to jungley zip line-ing. I'm pretty sure he's not scared of anything.

6. Red Haired Nerdy Girl- Me. A mom with a large fattle that used to work at the Wild Animal Park six years ago.

What have I gotten myself into? I told Dan I felt way out of my league the entire time. I'm really intimidated. Dan said that they hired me for a reason so I must be just as cool as my co-workers in my own way. I just can't help feeling like the fluffy brown penguin in the crowd.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Don't worry Jaim, you'll rock it. Seriously, I know why they hired you back. You were the best tram guide that park has ever seen. The only time I didn't want to jump off onto the electified rails just to liven it up a bit?? Yep, your tour. You're the best, don't underestimate your awesome abilities!

Stephanie said...

oh no! i am sorry you feel that way, but think of all the cool stuff you did when you worked at waiamea and all that you will have on your resume now that you are doing this! and not to mention all the skills you gained from your time at nsmh... ;)

Sheralie said...

I think you underestimate yourself my dear. You will be fabulous!

Jodi said...

You have something those adventurers can't compare with... the world's best personality! And I bet none of them swam in a flimsy shark cage! And if they did... you have skills out the wazoo, and versatility... you snowboard like no one's business AND play the viola! And you can spontaneously dance a half time show. The will love you!

Kara said...

You have done great things in your life and being a Mom probably qualifies you for a lot more than anyone knows! What in the world are you doing at this job anyways? I want to come visit again and see you in action.

Julie W said...

Hey, I think the fluffy brown penguin in the coolest! Maybe the fluffy brown penguin turns in to a swan. I am with dan, you belong in the zoo...hehehe

snbjork said...

Jaime, you obviously don't realize how awesome you are. I know we weren't bff's or anything in Hawaii, but I was around you enough to admire you for many many things! Seriously. And, Dan is totally right. They hired you because they must have seen all the great stuff that your friends see. What a privilege to be considered awesome enough to work with all those other incredible people. And, it sounds like you'll have a lot of opportunities to learn a lot of new things. Sounds cool!

The Englanders said...

You're absolutely right. You are the fluffy brown penguin, I won't lie.

Niki said...

I love it! You'll do awesome- Jaime. Fluffy brown penguins rock!