Tuesday, March 3, 2009

[Feb 28] Balloons A Plenty

So every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evening just before sunset you can look to the skies and see dozens of hot air balloons at any given time. They take off and land near our neighborhood. There is even a panda shaped one, which is my favorite. Obviously.

We were headed out to get some groceries and were almost side swiped by a balloon. Seriously, I have never seen one come so close to the cars. These pictures don't do it justice. By the time I wrangled the camera out of the diaper bag in between the shrieks and glances upward, the balloon had already started to rise.

But the point is, this balloon was floating like ten feet above the cars on a busy street. If I were the people in the basket, I would've been peeing my pants. Or jumping out of the basket toward the safety of the sidewalk.

It was really exciting. I promise.

3 comments:

Sheralie said...

I love hot air balloons too. Great story. I have never been that close to a hot air balloon . . . but one morning my roommate was out running a dinosaur hot air balloon began to fall on her. I know she was scared out of her mind because she woke me up in a panic at home telling met that a dinosaur had been on top of her and in my half awake state thought she had completely lost her mind! Anyways. Wish I could have been there.

Melissa said...

I think hot air balloons are better to look at with my feet firmly planted on the ground. :)

diana palmer said...

most magical hot air balloon story i've heard. maybe they just wanted to get close enough to spit.