Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Friday the 13th

Tonight we attempted to make these. Cake balls. Red velvet cake/frosting dipped in white chocolate. You can see my original inspiration HERE. I chose a much easier version because I don't have seventeen hours of free time. Here's how you do it:

1. Bake a cake from a box
2. Let it cool. Make sure it's cooled ALL the way
3. Using your hands, Crumble cake up into a giant bowl
4. Add one can of frosting and mix together with cake
5. Shape cake into balls and put on cookie sheet or stack them in between layers of foil in a cake pan/baking dish6. Freeze until cold or refrigerate for like six hours
7. Melt chocolate in microwave. DO NOT USE white chocolate chips! they are too waxy and look/taste disgusting. I recommend the ghirardelli chocolate
And so does Choobie
8. Roll balls in chocolate
*Note: At this point you can also choose to stack the balls like a snow man or squish them in your hand just for fun

9. Allow to dry on wax paper lined cookie sheet10. Eat

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES:
1. Make your balls much smaller, mine were way too big2. One bar of chocolate only coats 4 balls
3. If you want them to look pretty, make sure your 2 year old is in bed

PS: How Cute does Choobie look in his little underpants?!! Seriously I want to kiss his face off every time I see it.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

wow- what a delicious idea! i want to eat these more than make them because i am an impatient pregnant beast, but i want to make them too!

and he does look so cute in his under-roos! precious boy.

Kara said...

Yummy! I saw an idea like this put you put them on a stick and make them look like lollipops. He looks so grown up in his big boy underwear and with his new hair cut too! I'm so proud of you and impressed that you're potty training- SERIOUSLY!! Can you come teach my kid??

Niki said...

Yum! It looks like you had fun together. It was nice of you to let Luke help you. I make truffles every year for Valentines but that is one thing I don't let the kids help me with. I make two kinds and one recipe is super simple- 1 bag of crushed oreos mixed with 1 8oz. block of cream cheese, then roll in small balls and coat with chocolate (just like you did). If you want the other recipe email me. It's a bit more complicated but really, really good. Thanks for the cake idea- we'll have to try it.

snbjork said...

Yum, I LOVE cake balls! I found them on Pioneer Woman, originally, who found them on Bakerella. I usually make them into Cake Pops with the lollipop sticks...too fun! I go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and buy the dipping chocolate wafer thingies. They come in all different colors (red, orange, navy blue, baby blue, purple, pink, yellow, white,...you name it). It makes it super easy to dip and dries within seconds.

I agree that you are super nice to let the kid help. I only let Alton decorate them after I've done all the other steps. You seem like a super patient Mommy! Yay for you! And yay for the Choob's adorable underwear!!!

Jodi said...

Good thinkin! Rocky will have to make those when MOM is asleep, because I'm the messy one. Choob does look adorable in those dino-unders! Just don't let him know how cute he looks or he will start refusing pants. Been there. I hope the training is still going well! If Vader can pull it off, why not Choobie? Vader looks smashing in his dino-unders as well.