Monday, January 12, 2009

[Jan 12] When Did I Become Such a Weenie?

Today. I became a big ol weenie today. I had to go get an MRI done on my lower back to see if it requires surgery. I've really been looking forward to this test because I've had this back problem since I was pregnant with The Choob and no on seems to know how to fix it. I had to wait until now because my lovely deductible re zeros at the end of every year. This way if I need anything else done, it will be paid for once I meet the deductible. Blah blah blah.

Anyway, I arrive and am kinda excited because I've seen MRI's on TV shows like House and Grey's etc. She has me lay on my back and then inches me into the tube.

Guess what I learned about myself as I'm being shoved into the plastic coffin? I'm TOTALLY claustrophobic. Like panic attack crazy lady claustrophobic.

First of all, this picture makes it look roomy but let me tell you, there is NO room. My arms were touching on each side, my knees were touching the roof and my face was literally 2 inches from the ceiling of it. I was thinking to myself, dude this thing is really tight.

Once I was all the way in the tube, the MRI tech asked how I was doing over the intercom and I immediately started screeching, "I need to come out...right now..I need to come out right now....get me outta here!" So she inched me out of the tube of terror.

I refused to go back into the tube of death headfirst again and told the lady in my sternest voice with a hint of hysteria that she had to figure out another way to get me in there because I'd been waiting for this test for 8 months and I wasn't leaving till I got it done. (if she hadn't of found another way, I totally would've went home bawling truth be told)

So she decides to put me in feet first. I was still all the way in the tube but I could see a glow of light near the top of my head. That was much better than the total darkness the first time. MRI tech told me that I only had to be in there for 20 minutes and it would be over in no time and I should try to relax. I of course had issues with this.

First of all: 20 minutes?!!! Why not make it eternity? Second: Try to relax?! What the crap lady? Didn't you just hear my insane pleas for immediate tube removal? Don't tell me to relax!!

So with my earplugs in (b/c the MRI makes really loud weird noises just for some added fun) I begin to hypnotize myself whilst simultaneously singing Primary songs. Weenie. I know. I had to fight every urge to scream out my desires for release.

I have never been so happy when I heard her say, "Okay this is the last round of noises and then you're done". When she pulled me out of the tube I was expecting her to congratulate me on my braveness or make a comment about how I totally just conquered my fears but instead she said this and only this:

"If you need another MRI make sure you tell your physician that you need to be sedated."

Thanks for NOTHING MRI tech.

Sidenote: Later that day I went to lego land with The Choob and my brother. We were playing on this playground with a really long tube slide. Jeff goes down first and is screaming the whole time, "ahhh MRI tube MRI tube!" to make fun of me. I laughed, sent Choobie down the slide and then went myself. When I got to the bottom I had to scoot myself out like 5 feet of flat tube and I got a little panicked. I won't lie. Next time I won't take the tube slide, I'll opt for the stairs.

Yours Truly,
Super Weenie

11 comments:

snbjork said...

Jaime. Seriously. You crack me up! I think anyone would feel crazy and claustrophobic in that awful contraption!!! I hope I never have to have that experience. I'll just go ahead and tell my physician that I need to be sedated, too. I nearly vomit every time I have to get a shot or my blood drawn. How did I ever birth two children?? Well, I guess that's different cause you are just so ready to get the little rascals out of your womb...anyway, I'm rambling. I'm glad you survived the awful MRI tube today! Let us know what's up with your back whenever you find out, okay?!

Kara said...

I'm so sorry that you had such a traumatic experience. I've never had one of those done before, but thanks for the warning. I hope that they figure out whatever is wrong with your back and that whole ordeal will be worth something!

Julie W said...

Did you do a lot of medical classes in college? How can someone as educated as you be such a weenie? Hee Hee


Way to be brave and get it done, did they at least give you a sticker or lolly pop when you left?

Melissa said...

Don't feel bad...we all have our things that freak us out! Hmm...I can't think of any right now but I'm sure I have some...kidding, kidding! I love that your brother had to just rub it in, what are brothers for, right?

I hope the results come soon and they figure out what is wrong...definitely let me know. And we should hang out soon!

The Englanders said...

Wow, you really are a weenie! What about all the shark dives we use to do?

Stephanie said...

are you reading this dan?? THIS is what i mean by endearing! how could anyone read this and not think otherwise? :)

i love this. sorry for your pain though.

but this is hilarity.

diana palmer said...

just when i've given up hope on bloggers everywhere after wasting a precious half hour of my life surfing boring posts, i'm delighted with this weenie tale.

you are the best!


how can i feel bad for you when you salvage the terrifying experience with this gem of literary PLUS comedic genius?

Jodi said...

You mean sedation was an option?! Why didn't she tell you that BEFORE shoving you in the tube of death again?? I would have died!! I had no idea the MRI tube was like that! I'm way claustrophobic. I can't stay in a camping tent all night. I feel your pain. Do you remember that tiny,dark rocket water slide we braved in Vegas years ago? Scariest thing ever at the time, so at least you know you are not alone. Claustro-weenies unite!
Let me know what you find out!

Ashley and Aaron said...

Hey, acknowledging the problem is the first step to recovery...so you're on your way! The way you wrote about it was so funny...I'm glad it's over for you. And heck yes we need to see you guys...I'm starting to forget what you look like. We are going to Vegas for a wedding in March...maybe you should meet us there for some gambling and people-watching! Could be fun...

Spence said...

Tube of Terror!!! That is one of the funniest stories ever…except that kind of happened to me. Lucky for me they were doing an MRI on my knee so the put me in feet first from the start. If I would have been put in head first I’m sure I would have died. I got really nervous when I just kept going in, I was all “this is on my knee not my neck”. Unlike you though when they told me to relax…I did fall asleep. Funny think though is they did tell me in advance if I needed to be sedated…I thought no way. Next time for sure.

Violet said...

You crack me up!!! No one can tell a story like you can.

Way to go Super Weenie! I am proud of you even if the Tech lady wasn't.