Thursday, September 3, 2009

[Sept 1] Preschoolin' Choob

Choobies first school work. Priceless to me.

I picked my baby up from Preschool. Preschool. What?! How did he ever get this big?

I have always dreamed of the day I could drop him off at school, skip away as they closed the classroom door and have a whole three hours to myself. Oh the possibilities.

When that day arrived, it was harder to leave him in real life.

As we pulled into the parking lot his grip on Puppy tightened and a look of fear swept across his face. "Momma owl (we were pretending to be owls in the car ride over in an attempt to distract him from where we were going) are you going to come to school with baby owl?" I answered, "No, momma owls don't go to school, only baby owls do. Momma owl already went to school. Lots and lot of school. Now lets get out of your nest baby owl."

That's when the battle began. Picture Dan and choobie playing tug o war with puppy in the parking lot and me shouting, "Dogs don't go to school! School is for humans! School is for humans!" We totally looked like model parents. At last Puppy was separated from the kung fu grip.

We walked into class, put his lunch box in his cubby (I LOVE cubbies) and I gave him a hug and kiss and snuck out the door. Momma owl flew the coop. Quick and painless. Dada owl was not so lucky.

Choobies talons pierced the skin on dans legs as he begged for his dada to stay with him. Crying and screaming dan peeled him off his lower body and said goodbye as the teacher restrained our HYSTERICAL baby owl. As soon as dan went out, she shut the door.

Then we cried. The whole way home. Both Dan & I. The prigmores are big ol cry babies! Who knew?

Convinced my child was going to be kicked out of preschool the first day, I awaited a call from the director. It came. About an hour after we dropped him off. But the director didn't scream at me to come get my beast of a child because his ultrasonic shrieks were shattering the glass on his classroom windows. Instead, she called to tell me he wasn't crying and was having fun on the playground with his teacher. She just called to let me know he was OK. The director. An angel sent from heaven. I LOVE HER and I LOVE his teacher and I LOVE his school.

We arrived 10 minutes early to wait outside his classroom door. (Can you tell he's an only child?)When he came out he was smiling! And happy! His teacher told us he was upset for about 20 minutes and then had fun on the playground. He found a spider and looked at it. Ate his snack. And functioned in normal preschool society. All without the aid of his Puupy, light sabres, binkys and blankets. I was blown away. Plus he was so proud of his handprint. When we got home he ran over to the wall and said, "let's hang my handprint up here!" I love that he is learning to love school. We're so proud of you baby owl!!

6 comments:

Kara said...

How sweet! I'm so proud of you for being a brave mommy owl! I'm sure it will get easier every day for him. We're starting a joy school next week, so we'll see how that goes. I don't think Nathan will care if I leave him- he never hesitates or even looks back when I leave him. But, that's not always a good thing. How was your weekend with the girls?

Julie W said...

Oh Jaime! I feel your relief of the nice phone call. That was so cool! Was it comforting to not be alone in your sorrow, I can just picture you 2 crying in the car! Spence and I both held back the tears the ENTIRE first week of kindergarten drop off.

It never gets easier. My worries for kindergarten was cooper making a friend to play with him at recess. He was so afraid of being alone.

First grade I now worry that he will not eat his lunch because he wants to hurry to recess, and then be hungry. Coop also has his first spelling test tomorrow and is so nervous! He now says he hates friday because it is test day. Do you remember those days? Which means I am nervous and when will it end!

Welcome to letting go of your kid and fearing for his future!

doug and becky said...

I'm so proud of you three owls, all growing up so fast :) You almost made me cry just picturing this scene. I wonder what your faces looked like to make the teacher have the director call you just so you would know choob's doing great. How was day 2 and 3?

Melissa said...

Ahhh preschool...did it get better after the first day? Ashley would cry every single morning for a month but we didn't feel bad because the teacher told us she'd stop *right after* we got out of eyesight. Yep, it was a total scam for her to make us feel bad and manipulate us. Did I mention she was only 2? Ah, I'm so screwed when she becomes a teenager.

Jeff leaves next Tuesday...are you up for a movie night?

Stephanie said...

wow congrats! i cant imagine this day with ambrose but it sounds like it was so so wonderful for you choob which gives me hope!!! :)

The Roy Family said...

Hooray for Choobie! I teared up just reading this Jaime. I'm so glad that it went well.