Friday, March 28, 2008

A Cabin of Love

About one week before Valentine's Day we went to Lake Arrowhead with Eag & Ian without........drum roll please......our kids! There was a ton of snow, so much that we couldn't even park in the driveway. Now this isn't just your ordinary log cabin in the woods. No no. She's like a 5 star hotel inside. BEAUTIFUL! And the best part was the big ol plasma TV and humongous comfy couch in the basement. The whole time we were in the cabin we were stuffing our faces with various junk foods and an assortment of sweets while we sat eyes glued to the big screen watching movies or bugging the hubby's while they played video games well into the night.

The view from one of the balconies. Nothing but pine trees and lots of snow.

On saturday we went snowboarding at Snow Valley. A special time for the Eag & I. While we were at Ricks college nine long years ago, pretty much all of our free time was spent at Grand Targhee snowboarding. Eag, Heidi and I all had season passes and went snowboarding about 5-6 days a week. Some of my BEST memories were made on that mountain. As a result, we all became very good at the sport, hiking the back country and charging homemade jumps with the boys. Now fast forward nine years, one kid, and fifty pounds. When we were packing our stuff to go on the trip the night before, I dug out my old snowboarding pants and couldn't pull them up past my knees! My thermals were cutting off the circulation in my calves. Awesome. Luckily Ian had some I borrowed. Yes I fit into mens pants now. Rad. I was a little nervous about breaking a hip having not been on a board in nearly five years. Much to my delight it all came back to me after the first run on the bunny slope. I had forgotten how much fun it is to speed down the slopes and ride the lifts with Eag. I love cruising down the mountain chatting and seeing Eag in the tuck position. It was seriously the best day ever! It felt a little weird being without the choob but it also felt awesome to be myself again. I realized that I am pretty fun. (and apparently conceited)

Here we are on the first run of the day

Somehow this is the ONLY picture of Dan & I on the slopes. Apparently we were having too much fun to stop for the camera.

The boys on a bench. According to Dan, "If you are a butterball, the worst part about snowboarding is strapping into your bindings because your gut gets in the way." Hence the bench.

Eag flapping her wings. She's pretty much the best skier I know.

Eag in the tuck position. Speedy.

This was supposed to be a great picture of Dan. As you can see, it turned out to be a great picture of some guy in a red vest. Let me explain: So, I had to leave my glasses in the car because when I wore them under my goggles I got all fogged up. As a result, the pictures I took suffered. Oops.

I managed to capture Dan and Ian and red vest mcgee in the same frame. Good Job.

Summary: We love cabins. We love food. We love snowboarding. We love Eag & Ian.

2 comments:

Niki said...

What a fun trip. I can't remember the last time I went snowboarding. I'm totally jealous:)

Nicole, Paul, Ike and Aubs said...

It's awesome you guys were able to escape for awhile and play in the snow. And what a beautiful cabin! By the way, we have tenative plans to travel to Disneyland this September. Paul's fam from downunder are coming to visit and they want to go meet Mickey. We need to see you guys again - it's been too long!