Friday, May 11, 2007

It was the Best of Times....It was the WORST of Times



So, I flew up to Washington the day before Heidi's wedding and rented a car to make the long drive from Seattle to Camano Island. The lady at Enterprise was all, "do you want the insurance? It's only $150.99 extra" Being the cheap momma that I am I was all, "I think my GEICO insurance will cover it." Thinking in my mind, I am only going to be here for 2 days and only on the road for like 4 hours total...what are the chances I'll get in a wreck. I've never been in a wreck my entire life. Then little miss pushy rental agent kept asking me like a thousand times if I wanted the insurance and I kept saying no, each time a little louder and meaner. So finally before I paid for the car, she said, "sign here here here here here & here to decline the rental insurance." That's right. Six times I signed my name on a carbon triplicate copy declining the rental insurance. Long story short, I rear ended a guy because some idiot in Camano Island thought it would be a great idea to put a stoplight in the middle of a friken bridge! I was only going 10mph and NOTHING happened to the 1985 Toyota Carolla I nudged. Shout out to Toyotas. Seeing his car unscathed, I thought:"Okay when I get out and look at my car there will probably be no damage. I wasn't going that fast and his old beater car is fine." Boy was I WRONG! This little gem I rented called KIA Optima was a huge piece of crap as shown in the picture above. So I immediately start bawling my eyes out and then Don, Eag's wonderful dad leaves work and comes to rescue me and the cop comes and was all "don't cry. You're going to make me cry." and then writes me a ticket! Luckily the man I hit didn't claim anything since his car was fine. So now I am out $160 bucks for ticket mcgee and whatever it will cost to repair the car. The wedding was awesome (see next post) and the final bill for the damages was $2,500.00 for that little fender bender. Don't worry, my GEICO policy didn't pay for anything. Luckily we were saving up money to visit Hawaii this summer so we weren't in a bind. Kill me NOW~! On a good note, we will never buy a KIA. On a bad note, Hawaiian vacation will be postponed till next year. Maybe the year after.

2 comments:

Maylin said...

This is like the saddest story! Next time you rent a car I'll warn Luke to keep an eye on his college fund. I hope you find a way to make it to Hawaii soon. The honu miss you no doubt!

Stephanie said...

oh sad! i hope you can still come to hawaii someday!! (side note: we have a kia optima that was purchased second hand and had OBVIOUSLY had some bad body work done and now i know why! they crunch like tuna cans under small amounts of pressure!) we've been looking at toyota corollas lately- this little story may be just the motivation we need to take the plunge!