Saturday, November 27, 2010

[Oct 28] The Gory Details- Part II

2:03 pm- Pitocin Started

2:30 pm- contractions too infrequent, pitocin upped to increase

At this time I was still not feeling any contractions and they were still not showing up on the monitor. The nurse just kept increasing my pitocin drip to see if we could get some contractions to show up.

2:41 pm- contractions regular now but too painful. Calling back the anesthesiologist to be like WTH?

Dan actually wrote some naughty bad words in his notes because it was getting a little crazy. I was feeling a lot of pain and I was panicking thinking that I wasn't numb and we were going to have another horrific labor if I was in that much pain and only 3 cm. I was pretty much demanding more drugs and shooting Dan the biggest stink eye ever so he knew I would slay him if he didn't get the anesthesiologist in there ASAP.

Doc came rather quickly and maxed out my dose. I was still in serious pain and could move my entire lower body. It was then that he told me that there was nothing more he could do and that "sometimes epidurals don't always work like we want them too."

EXCUSE ME?! Instant meltdown on my part. Tears, gnashing of teeth, shaking. The sweet nurse decided to check me to see if I was maybe a 5 to give me hope of making it through labor with the pain.

3:05 pm- Very painful... checking her...she's a 10!

The look on her face was priceless. She said I was a 10 and not to move...she had to get the doctor.

3:15 pm- Pushed...nothing


3:41 pm- Taking a 20 min break to wait for the baby to move lower

4:01 pm- Pushed again

I pushed for an hour until the midwife said she needed to do an episiotomy because my band of scar tissue from Choob's arrival was so thick that the baby was not going to come out on her own. (Once again, thanks for nothing intern from UH)

2 snips later Lainey arrived.

Turns out I was having contractions the entire time but the monitor wasn't picking them up because the band around my belly was in the wrong spot. So I was having contractions the whole time and then they kept increasing the pitocin so it was like a FastPass for labor. I highly recommend it!
4:19 pm- Born. 7lb 11oz 20.5 inches. Midwife Kathy Vaux

When I called to tell Choob he said, "fine I don't even care!" and hung up.
Her face was all red on one side because she was delivered "sunny side up".

Right after she was born they put her on my chest and said "hold her there for at least an hour." This was really fun, especially when she pooped all over my bare stomach. Awesome.
5:00 pm- Dr. Nystul arrived.

Ironic. The entire reason I was going to be induced was to guarantee that my doctor would be the one delivering. With kaiser you just get whomever is on call so Dan & I decided to be induced because my doctor knew about my previous birth and promised me it would be 100% different with him. He was so sweet to come over after seeing patients all day. He ran into the room in cap & scrubs ready to deliver the baby that had arrived 45 minutes earlier.

It all worked out rather nicely in the end.

No comments: