Tuesday, November 16, 2010

[Oct 28] The Gory Details- Part I

Surprise, I had a babe! If you didn't know don't feel bad. We didn't tell many people because we were in escrow for so long and there was a chance we would lose the house if we were suddenly to become a "family of four" so we kept the cat in the bad for a very long time.

I had Dan write down times and notes during my labor so we could remember all the gory details. His notes are displayed in red.

4:00 am- Contractions started

I had contractions most of my pregnancy so I usually ignored them. I was set to be induced on Saturday and planned to run all my last minute errands and babysit for a friend on Thursday.

Turns out, my offspring had different plans.

When the contractions were 2 to 3 minutes apart for over two hours I started to take them more seriously.

7:30 am- left for the hospital At this point all I can think of is how much I look like Violet Beauregarde. Same Same.8:45 am- dilated 2.5 cm. rounded up to a 3 to get admitted.

Upon arriving at the hospital, the midwife made an executive decision to round up so that I didn't have to turn around and go home. See how happy she made me? Get this baby out of me now!9:05am- moved to labor/delivery room

We had THE BEST nurse nearly the entire time. She was really funny and was adamant about helping me get the most drugs possible so I wouldn't feel anything. Love her.
We still had no name picked out at this point. We did have a list though.
9:43 am- IV first attempt in left arm. Jaime said, "I think its in the bone."

Ironically enough, this was the most painful part of the WHOLE labor.
For some reason nurse Cathy decided that I needed to donate bone marrow or something because she stuck that needle into my radius AND ulna and it is still bruised sore to the touch 3 weeks later. Wah. Needless to say no blood was coming out (bone lady, you're sucking out my marrow) so she had to go to my other arm.
9:55 am- IV 2nd attempt in right arm- made in

10:41am- Epidural by Dr. Baker. He did a really great job, Jaime was nervous but very impressed with how easy it was. "Way easier than I thought"

Easiest ever. No less than one gagillion times better than Choobs epidural. Hawaii anesthesiologists suck. Especially interns from UH.
10:58am- Catheter and pee. gross.
I omitted the picture for your sake.

11:19am- Can't feel the contractions she's been having
This was bizarre because I could move my legs and feet. Literally. I could lift my legs up and down and left and right but couldn't feel the contractions. Miraculous I tell you.
11:22am- First self dose of epidural.
Definitely not the last. I pushed it so many times it would lock me out and beep at me.

12:07pm- decided on name
12:45pm- Broke her water

The midwife came in and I hadn't dilated at all. I asked her to break my water and she did. No big deal. So far it was smooth sailing with this child.

1:45pm- Still at 3cm. Going to do pitocin
.
Midwife thought the epidural stopped my labor since they weren't picking up any contractions on the monitor and I wasn't feeling any. She asked me if I wanted to try pitocin and I said, "of coruse, the more drugs the better."

1:54pm- started letters to juliet dvd
Apparently this was noteworthy to Dan. What? The dvd player was busted so he spent some time rigging ours up with various cables so we could watch movies while we waited for her to arrive.

No comments: