Monday, April 25, 2011

[April 19] Attack of the Soccer Momma

A few of The Choob's friends were playing soccer and loving it.  I figured any sport that involves running would be a good thing for him so we went to sign him up.  

We arrived at the office and it was locked but one of the coaches was in the parking lot and introduced herself and attempted to meet Luke while he hid behind his sisters car seat making peeping sounds.  

She seemed nice enough and then she told us that he could try the first class for free and it was starting in 20 minutes.  

Score. 
He was having a ton of fun while Coach Colleen was setting up for class, running and kicking the balls all over but as soon as it became an organized event he pretty much did this:
Remember he is DRESSING HIMSELF these days.  Pick your battles people.

Stood on his blue rubber dot not doing anything.  He had a bad case of the pouts.

By this time Dan had left work early and arrived to see "Choobs first big soccer practice" which turned out to be "Choobie and momma's first big fight over a sporting event" 

After five minutes of him choosing not to participate, I went into full soccer mom mode and told him if he didn't want to participate we would just go home.   

I thought for sure this threat would make him jump up and start running with the class. He decided that going home would be a fine option.  

FINE.   

Off to the car seat we stormed.

Dan & I were discussing if I should sign him up or not and when we both came to the conclusion that this was a sport we were not willing to invest the money in,  the waterworks started from the backseat.  Crying and begging for "another chance" Dan took Choobie back to practice while I went home with Tano.

Turned out he went back and had a fun time and "wants to do soccer every time now."
Getting all the "Sea Turtle Eggs" into the den

Great!  Wonderful!  Something fun for him to do with other kids!

We'll see how practice next week goes when I tell him he has to wear his uniform.  

Cross your fingers.


3 comments:

doug and becky said...

Haha. I can totally picture this happening. Ha. Glad he decided to go back. And glad he's still dressing himself. Awesome!

Melissa said...

This post cracked me up because guess what happened to me on Saturday? we all went to Silverset to practice softball and Ashley was not putting forth "enough" effort and I left them there and went home! Fingers crossed it gets better for both of us!

Kara said...

That sounds just like Nathan! It's like he's bipolar! One minute he is excited and likes soccer and the next he could care less! It drives me crazy, and I've already stormed off the field threatening to take him home and not let him do anything for the rest of the day! I have no patience for it! Your little girl is such a cutie! I hope Luke is warming up to her. It takes awhile though- Nathan took forever with Jackson.