Thursday, January 3, 2008

Boycott US Airways

All who read this blog must join us in boycotting US Airways. Their motto should be "Fly with Us...if you want a horrible experience." What follows is an account of our attempt to make the return flight home from Philadelphia:

So, after making it through "Pukefest 2007" and "The Ultra Runs plus some Barf 2008," we had to say goodbye to Nana and Carl and Jordan and Tess. They dropped us off at the airport where we checked in our bags (full of christmas goodies) and carseat (ah the joys of flying with a child) and headed to the beast of a security line. Once in line, Luke thought it would be the best time ever to have a meltdown. On a good day, this child gives a whole new meaning to the term meltdown, but a sick Lukey Boy Meltdown was a scene of epic proportions. I know people were thinking, "gosh I hope they're not on my flight." But what can you do in a slow moving security line for 45 minutes? Apparently when you are one year old and sick, having your coat and shoes removed by your mom is worse than someone murdering you. Just picture a flipping out, flapping, kicking, snotting, and coughing ball of struggling parents & kid. We finally retrieved all seventeen of our little grey bins from the conveyor, (after 2 of them had to be sent thru again) and re-packed the diaper bag and 3 carry-ons. Needless to say, redressing and shoeing the Choob did not occur.


We made it to our gate a few minutes before boarding time. 30 minutes later the flight attendant informed us that our plane was having mechanical problems and that they were going to put us on another plane. Off we go to another gate and board plane #2. At this point we were a little bothered but glad that we wouldn't have to wait around any longer while they fixed plane#1. On a bright note, boarding the plane first is one of the perks of flying with a small child. As we set foot on plane #2, we passed row after row of empty seats. Then I saw a very large, cranky looking older man that is no doubt sitting in our row. I was hoping and praying that we would be seated next to an understanding mother or grandmother in case Luke puked all over her, so I was troubled when I saw our beast of a seat partner. When we stood next to him and said, "those are our seats" he mouthed to us, "sorry, I'm deaf." My first thought was, there is a God afterall. What are the odds that on the entire plane, the couple with the screaming child would be seated next to the deaf man? Boo-yaw!

My excitement dwindled after we sat on plane #2 for over TWO HOURS at the gate. That's right, we hadn't even pulled away from the gate and we had used like half of the airplane toys to entertain sick child mcgee. A hush came over the plane when the captain came on and said that we might not make it into San Diego tonite because San Diego airport has a curfew and you can't land after 11 in the pm. What?!! So I write deaf guy a note telling him we might not get into San Diego tonite and his expression was similar to mine and everyone else's on the plane. About 30 minutes later the captain came back on and said, "OK everybody we are going to put you on another plane". At this point I start bawling my eyes out as I am carrying my sick crying kid off plane #2 and toward the gate to get on plane #3. Everyone was staring at our haggard little family as we struggled to yet another gate. After we sat for a while at gate #3 waiting for plane #3, the gate attendant came on the loudspeaker and said we had to move to....you guessed it....another gate! Seriously, are you kidding me?!!! So I start crying again and pick up my kid and mosey on down to gate #4 to wait to board plane #3.

We get on our THIRD plane of the night and nestle in next to deaf guy. I noticed that once the plane was boarded, a seat opened up in the row directly in front of us. So, we convince the 2 other girls sitting there to swap seats with us so we could have an extra seat. I was all excited that we'd have an extra seat to use for the baby on a totally full flight. Just as we were taxiing out to the runway, a flight attendant came and said, "Sorry, I want to sleep on this flight so I am going to take the extra seat." I have never wanted to hurt a person in uniform so bad! So, that left me with sick, way overtired baby, back on my lap for the 5 hour flight home. After sitting on the runway for about 45 min, the captain came on the loudspeaker and said that we were now number ELEVEN in the line of planes to take off so it would be about 30 more minutes. There I sat, silently sobbing in my seat. I swear I saw Dan tear up too.

Long story comes to an end with us landing in San Diego at 1:30 in the am San Diego time. That is 4:30 in the am Philladelphia time. (apparently the airport made an exception to the curfew when US Airways told them about the fiasco) We made what should have been a five hour flight in just over 12 hours of gate switching and plane hopping madness. That night, we got what little sleep we could until we had to wake up for Luke's 8:30 doctor appointment that morning.

7 comments:

The Dobrons said...

I thought the Dobron curse was bad--you've trumped it. Hey--did you guys move into the Del Mar ward??

Stephanie said...

thanks.

i am flying with chubby to DC in 2 days. this fills my heart with hope, comfort, and warmth.

i'm staying home.

hahahhaaha!

Barry said...

Sounds like fun. Did you guys already book your next ticket? I've heard Huntsville, Alabama is a nice place to visit. ;)

I hope you guys are feeling better. It's especially no fun having a sick kid.

Carpfam said...

That is amazing!!! The worst part had to have been that stupid flight attendant!!! Have you written them a letter, because you should, and don't leave out the part about the sleepy flight attendant who has her own flip down seat in the front and back of the airplane for taking off, landing and napping!!!!

Maylin said...

What a nightmare! Seriously, that story makes ME want to cry. And what can you do? If you want to get home, you're totally at their mercy. I'm sure that flight attendant got some really sound sleep. Psycho!

Kara said...

Jaime, I am so glad I checked back here and you've finally posted something new. Maybe you will get this comment and respond. I found your blog is a random way, Dan and Ashley Henry, well Ashley used to come to my ward in the summers and I don't really know her well cause she's way younger, but their friends in my ward keep in touch and I read their blog and decided to look at Dan and Ashley's one day and saw a picture of you on it! I admit it, I was a blog stalker for awhile, but now I have one of my own and hear from Violet every once in awhile. I hope this isn't weird and you remember me. Your little boy is such a cutie and he and my little boy are only a few days apart. I read your blog and can't believe you went back to HI with your husband. That's so cool. Anyways, this is going to be really long, but I would love to get in touch with you and hear more about how you're doing. My blog is ckmathewsfamily.blogspot.com
Hope to hear from you soon.
Kara Swanemyr- Mathews

Ashley and Aaron said...

Jaime! I've had some hellish trips myself, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. On another note, Aaron insists that he's given our address to Dan several times (we did get a christmas card from you guys...) so you must have it somewhere! But here it is again: 541 E 500 N Apt 22, Provo, UT 84606. Peace Out.